Saturday, October 18, 2008

Nou La! (We're Here!)


Ok! We made it! We are tired and hot but totally knocked out of our socks blessed! We got 21 people from the US to the Methodist Guesthouse in Port Au Prince Haiti with only minor complications. One member of our team who's initials are LP actually booked her flights to Haiti on October 19th! YIKES! Just a simple step over to another counter got her all set and then we found out that the plane was 100% full. God saved that seat just for her! Another team member (who I didn't get approval to use initials) got the shake down from TSA and still managed to get all her stuff back into her bag!

We arrived at the Haiti airport at 3:35 pm (Haiti time) and made it through bag claim and customs without a glich! We were thrilled to see Big with open arms, happy to see us and ready to take charge of getting us and our bags to our waiting vehicles. Again, went very smoothly!
One of my favorite things is to see our Haitian friends waiting eagerly to greet us with their beautiful smiles and genuine hugs. It was great to see Michel, Junior, Jimmy, Nicky, Max, and Gabriel.
The drive to the orphanage was uneventful (meaning we didn't hit anyone or anything). How awesome it is to be greeted with squeals of delight by the kids. There wasn't anyone in our group that didn't have one in their arms! Kim said "what are we supposed to do" as Shakira was clinging to her calling "mama, mama". I told her, she is doing what she is supposed to be doing! We had 17 heavy tubs to carry up the stairs to the house manager's apartment. Clinic bags were unloaded into the clinic. Dr. Eric was whisked away upstairs to check 2 of our kids out right away. Nothing major, but will keep an eye on them. It was fun to see Eric checking out Jonathon as he was just dropped off in July, 2007, when Eric was there last! He has certainly changed.

Archers were reunited with Hermann and Elmise and Teresa Brown had her two (Jeffy and Semendia) in tow! We loaded back up on the vans who kindly took us and our tired butts to the Methodist Guesthouse. We were soon fired back up by Donette's greeting! I could use some of her energy!! Dinner was awesome (salad, fried chicken, mac and cheese, bread, peas & carrots, and chocolate cake). After dinner was our team meeting. As soon as the meeting was done, it was pool time for many of the team members and chillin' time for the rest. It is now nearly 9 pm Haiti time and my roommates are all in bed. Tomorrow will be an early start with breakfast at 7 am followed by worship at Port Au Prince Fellowship. Please pray for a God-glorifying day tomorrow. I have seen some members totally affected already!!
Bonnuit! (Good night!)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

We are thankful that the team arrived safely. We will be praying for God's strength and wisdom for you this week.

The Taylors

Anita said...

I'm so glad you posted tonight...we're so glad to know our kids(Rob, Jessica, Tyler, & Haleigh) are there safely. Of course we're praying for the whole team. God bless...

It's Gonna Be Me said...

Thanks for the great update, Team October! So glad you made it safe and sound. I cannot wait to read all the God stories from the week.

Looking forward to meeting the team and seeing all our friends on Thursday. You are in our prayers!

Hugs!
Colleen & crew

Petion-ville, Haiti said...

This is Jen, NOT Gretchen. I can't get by Google account to work.

Wonderful update Team Leader! Hey, how come you were not sleeping? I can't wait to here about changed lives! I have butterflies just thinking about what I will see and hear on Thursday.

Anyone forget anything? Underware? Toothbrush? (ha, ha). Let me know as mass packing is going on at my house today.

Love Jen

Unknown said...

Give Junior a hug from MOM.

J

Gail said...

Blessing team and your safe arrival! I can't wait to hear all of your God stories! Please give all my Haiti friends a big hug, esp Max..

Love, Gail

Trina said...

Oh, that LP girl, she so makes me smile.
Jos, thanks for the blessing of your children today, they do my heart good.
Glad to see you are there and happy. I love you all very, very much.
Got your backs,
Trina

Jason said...

Hi Mom, this is Taylor and I wish you can come home safely and make sure you are a good helper. I hope you are having a good time in Haiti. I hope you stay well. I hope that enjoy all the kids and help the kids stay healthy. I hope you have good weather. Have a good time on the airplane.

To Mom, Love Taylor

That was straight from Taylor. Easton, Taylor and I are saying a special prayer for you guys. We are proud of you and can't wait to see you.

Love you you and see you soon.