Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Marie's story by Cynthia

She was beautiful. I noticed that something about her spirit just glowed with serenity and something else...trust, surrender, something Christ-like. As she shared her story with us and asked for our help, I again noticed that she was peaceful. She was obviously well educated. Like many Haitians she was very well dressed for her clinic visit. She told us that she was a teacher.
We went to a private area of the clinic and she told me about her breast cancer. She had gotten a lumpectomy in the past. After the surgery, she got as much chemo-therapy as she could afford to pay for in the Dominican Republic. She then returned to Haiti. She has been treating the breast cancer, since her return, with Prayer. She was concerned and came to the clinic today because the breast had been changing over the last few weeks. It was red, painful, swollen and she had a fever. I was dismayed when she undressed. Her right breast was hard, swollen and had two large abcesses forming.
She was very stoic as I examined her. I know that even the exam had to hurt. I considered draining the abcesses...but was concerned that with the cancer that they would not heal. I treated her with strong antibiotics, pain medicine and Prayer. We layed on hands and prayed God's healing for her cancer....and a blessing for her recovery. God could still heal her cancer, if He chose.

She gave us the gift of herself, her trust, and her peace. She didn't doubt God's ability to heal...if He chose to. She blessed us with the strength of Her surrender, the strength of her spirit. She IS a beautiful woman of God and is a leader for other women. I feel that I have been blessed to have met her.
Please pray for Marie as she continues the fight against the cancer in her body.
Dear Jesus, Bless Marie today. Give her the strength to sing your praise and hold out the light of her Hope to the world. Cure her cancer and restore her health. I thank you for the lessons she taught me in Hait. Amen

1 comment:

Karen Combes said...

Cynthia:
Thanks for sharing Marie's story. I will remember her in my prayers. Since I'm a breast cancer survivor, her story touched me deeply.
Blessings,
Karen